Nigerian and Cameroonian troops claim to have killed Shekau

The reported killing of Boko Haram leader said to be Abubakar Shekau has again ignited a fresh controversy between Nigerian and Cameroonian troops.

The Cameroon Concord had on Monday quoted a military source as having said that Shekau was killed on Saturday by the Cameroonian Army during a cross border aerial bombardment of his hideout in Nigeria.

To prove the killing, the newspaper also published photographs of the bearded man it said was Shekau who usually appears in videos as the leader of Boko Haram.

It made reference to a statement by the Cameroonian military authorities on the killing but was silent on its content.

The paper added in the report that the Cameroon army had been in serious combat against thousands of Boko Haram fighters trying to enter Cameroon through Fotokol from Gamboru Ngala in Borno State.

But Nigeria’s Defence authorities dismissed the claim that the said Shekau was killed by Cameroonian security forces within Nigeria.

The Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade, stated that there was no raid on any terrorists’ hideout by Cameroon or any other foreign country within Nigerian soil.

Olukolade explained that the ongoing operations against insurgents in Kodunga and its neighbouring communities were being undertaken solely by Nigerian forces.

He said, “There was no raid whatsoever by Cameroon or any foreign forces in any part of Nigeria’s territory in pursuit of terrorists as claimed in some reports allegedly quoting Cameroon authorities.

“All operations in the environs of Kodunga and all associated border locations within the country are completely undertaken by Nigeria troops.”

The Defence authorities had said in a tweet last Wednesday that troops who repelled an attack by insurgents at Konduga, Borno State, captured a high ranking terrorist leader who was being treated in military medical facility.

The Nigerian troops had engaged the insurgents in Kodunga, killing 150 of them and capturing a large cache of arms, ammunition and vehicles on Thursday.

An intelligence source said that the military was still involved in moves to ascertain the identity of ‘the very prominent commander.”

247newsnaija.com.ng is your one-stop online news magazine blog. We report credible information as they happen. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get Latest Information.

Leave a Reply