Major headlines in the newspaper today

2015-election_0.jpg

(1)Parties kick as plot to sack Jega thickens Punch
The plot to sack the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega, is gathering momentum, Jega’s tenure ends on June 30 but his traducers, especially some Peoples Democratic Party members, are already compiling what they described as his ‘sins’ to ensure that he proceeds on terminal leave before the March 28 and April 11 elections.Findings on Monday revealed that the “sins,” include alleged transfer of some INEC officials considered close to them out of their departments where their input might not be useful in the conduct of the elections.
It was also gathered that the PDP members, who are close to the Presidency, feel that Jega is becoming unapproachable on issues.
A source in the Presidency, who did not want his name in print, said that the reason the INEC boss gave for the postponement of the elections had negatively affected the credibility of the Presidency and the PDP—PUNCH

(2)Another poll delay’ll amount to a coup – Buhari Punch
The Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd), has warned that further postponement of the March 28 election by the Independent National Electoral Commission will amount to “a civilian and military coup.”While advising INEC to take note of its constitutional limitations, he also ruled out participation in any election debate following the postponement of the elections.
The former Head of State, sounded the warning in an interview with journalists on Monday in Abuja during a courtesy call on him by the first elected President of Malawi and Leader of the Commonwealth Election Observers Group, Dr. Bakili Muluzi.
He said, “We told them about the change in the dates of elections and the constitutional limitations of INEC. That is the last card for INEC and they cannot delay the elections anymore. So, it is up to the government to facilitate a free, fair and credible election.

(3)Ekiti poll audio: How Fayose, Obanikoro threatened General The nationnewspaper
More facts emerged yesterday from the audio recording of the session held in Ado Ekiti by Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftains to perfect the rigging plot for the June 21, last year, election in Ekiti State.
Besides Governor Ayodele Fayose, who was then the PDP candidate, there were former Minister of State (Defence) Musiliu Obanikoro, Minister of Police Affairs Jelili Awosiyan, Senator Iyiola Omisore and Hon. Abdulkareem, among others, who met with Brig Gen. Aliyu Momoh.
Gen. Momoh, according to the audio recording posted by online medium Sahara Reporters, was deployed by the military top brass to aid the rigging plan, using soldiers moved into the state for the purpose.
The video was made available by Capt Sagir Kojoli, who said he was an intelligence officer deployed for the mission. He is now on AWOL.

(4)Dasuki: There Will be No Further Shift of Elections– Thisday newspaper
Nigeria’s general election will not be postponed past March 28, National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), said on Monday, after he successfully lobbied for a poll delay because of Boko Haram violence.
“Those dates will not be shifted again,” Dasuki told AFP when asked if the polls, initially scheduled for February 14, could be pushed back further.
Dasuki had urged election officials to postpone the vote on the grounds that the military could not provide nationwide election security because all available resources were being deployed in the North-east to fight Boko Haram.His justification for the delay was widely criticised, in part because the military is not primarily responsible for election security in Nigeria.

(5)Shekau vows to defeat regional force in videos -The nation newspaper
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau vowed in a new video released yesterday that the group would defeat a regional force fighting it in the northeast, Niger and Cameroon.“Your alliance will not achieve anything. Amass all your weapons and face us. We welcome you,” he said in a 28-minute speech in one of three videos posted by the Islamists on YouTube.Troops from Nigeria have been backed by soldiers from Chad, Cameroon and Niger in recent weeks because of increased concerns about Boko Haram’s threat to regional security.
In the second of the videos, images of the leader of the Islamic State group, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, are shown along with archive footage and a voiceover recalling a battle between British colonial soldiers and fighters from the Sokoto Caliphate in northern Nigeria.
Shekau has namechecked al-Baghdadi before but appears to be positioning Boko Haram in a wider jihadi context by showing the Sokoto Caliphate, which was dismantled by the British in the early 20th century.

“We never rose up to fight Africa. We rose up to fight the world,” he said.

“We are going to fight the world on the principle that whoever doesn’t obey Allah and the Prophet to either obey or die or become a slave.”

Shekau dismissed the size of the multinational force, which had previously been set at about 7,500.

“You send 7,000 troops? Why don’t you send 70 million? This is small. Only 7,000? By Allah, it is small. We can seize them one-by-one. We can seize them one-by-one,” he said in Arabic.

247newsnaija.com.ng is your one-stop online news magazine blog. We report credible information as they happen. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get Latest Information.

Leave a Reply